Sunday, May 8, 2011

Is it at all possible for me to do home schooling in Australia


Is it at all possible for me to do home schooling in Australia?
I'm 16, in NSW, doing grade 11. Found I just can't cope with the school. It's the only one in my area, 3 hour commute, the teachers are bullies and don't stop the boys from sexually harrasing the girls (taken to kicking them where it hurts if they try touching me). Can't complain to anybody: everyone from class teacher to the principal don't care. I'm smart; I taught myself the entire grade 10 first semester curriculum in a week after not going that semester, and I want to finish school, but I absolutely cannot cope where I am. It's get an alternative, or drop out. Any suggestions?
Home Schooling - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It is very much possible to home school in Australia. Start with the Home Education Association for NSW to learn about schools, legal policies and support groups. Here's the website: http://www.hea.asn.au/resources/results_sg.asp?state=NSW You can also go through the New South Wales Homeschooling network for information about schools and further support groups. http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/regional/NewSouthWales.htm
2 :
There are also online schools that accept students from a variety of countries.
3 :
Yes, it's definitely possible to homeschool in Australia. I'm 17, Australian and have been home educated all my life. The only thing I would say to you now, this late in your education, is that you can *not* do the HSC if you're homeschooled. That's not a problem - my three eldest siblings have had no problems getting into uni without a School Certificate of any description. However it is something just to be aware of if you've always had your heart set on getting your HSC. PS Be very, very careful about signing up with a homeschooling program from overseas. Some are accepted by the Education Department and others aren't. I've definitely heard of homeschoolers from NSW (which as in most things is the most bureaucratic state in the Commonwealth when it comes to home education!) who've enrolled in American homeschooling programs only to have the Department of Education brand their education as 'unacceptable'. PPS If your closest government school is three hours away from home (3 hours to get to school, 3 hours to get home again), are you not entitled to AIC? Or the boarding school allowance? We get it over here cuz our closest government school is more than 2 hours away from our property. Actually it's measured from the end of your driveway. Anyway if you are entitled to AIC you should be entitled to enrol for free in Distance Education as an 'isolated child' (and still get your HSC that way).
Read more discussion :