Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Will American employers look down on a graduate degree from the UK or Australia


Will American employers look down on a graduate degree from the UK or Australia?
I'm flirting with the idea of going to grad school in England or Australia (I'm American). Would this hurt my career if I decide to work in the US after I graduate? Do American employers look unfavorably upon degrees from other non-American English-speaking countries?
Studying Abroad - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i would have though it would be more prestigious! im doing my degree in the UK and love it!
2 :
I think that a company that would look down on a graduate degree from the UK or Australia would be a company you wouldn't want to work for. We are becoming a much more global society every day, every second actually and the more globally educated a person is, the bigger the asset they would be to an organization. (Read anything written by Thomas Friedman - he is one fo the formost experts on globalization). I actually work in the study abroad industry and I have worked in university admissions. I know for a fact that admissions (as well as the work force) is so competitive nowadays that you HAVE to set yourself apart from the rest of the herd. Studying abroad is a great way to do that. Also, make sure that you go into a graduate program that is really reputable - don't join a graduate program just because it is in the UK, join it because it is the most progressive / best / reputable, etc in that industry. That is really what matters in a graduate degree - the university supplying that degree has to be in the top of the field for those studies. That is where you will gain that credibilty, no matter where in the world you study.
3 :
I think a lot of it depends on what kind of degree you want and where you want to work. I wouldn't have thought so (I'm getting a degree here in the UK now), but some of my previous college professors questioned my decision to leave the US. This is strange because I already have a degree from a university in the US and the quality of learning is much higher in the UK. I agree with the statement above--anyone who looks down on it is probably not someone you want to work for. There are a lot of narrow-minded people out there.
4 :
Doubt it. To be sure I decided to do my PhD here in the U.S. then find some post-doc position in Ireland or the U.K. in order to get the overseas experience and build my C.V. Everyone is different, but that is my plan anyway.
Read more discussion :