Saturday, October 16, 2010

Should I move to Banff when I finish high school


Should I move to Banff when I finish high school?
I'm currently 18 years old and completing my final year of high school in Australia. I have a permanent residence visa for Australia, but I'm a British citizen. I'm considering moving to Banff to start out in a place I absolutely love. I'd be looking to get a job when I get there. Any advice on how practical this would be for someone coming straight out of school? Visas, expenses, etc. All responses would be appreciated. I am interested in moving Banff upon the completion of high school. Unlike most people, I am looking to make Banff my home in the long term. My current location is in Australia although I am of British origin. Could anyone assist me with information on moving to Banff and how applicable this venture would be for someone like myself? Is it easy to find employment that can sustain the housing costs in Banff? Would it be a financial strain moving to Banff for someone just starting out? Hope you can help!! * I am looking to make either Banff or Canmore my permanent home for at least 5 to 6 years * I would be applying for my visa from the United Kingdom (as I plan to return there briefly beforehand) * The cold winters are something I look forward to * I am prepared to live in Canmore and commute although sharing accommodation is not something that appeals to me * I prepared to work hard and start off in any post for the short term
Calgary - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If that is where you want to go, then so be it. Just show up and you will have to make it all work.
2 :
If you are flexible with what kind of job you are looking for. Wing it, come out and you can work your way into the job you really want. Research your visas before you come, Aussies come and go quite frequently from here and are notorious for saying they will stay for a year and bail out early - so if employers are skeptical and don't want to help you out with visas it is because you can thank all the backpackers that come and go so frequently from here. It is a great place so I would recommend coming to Banff. Many employers will find you accommodations and there are tons of people to show you around and hand out with. Have an idea of what you want first before you come out. Accommodations - don't be put off by staff accommodations at first. You may find it easy to move into a staff accommodation for a week while you search the newspapers for something a little better. It makes your life a little easier to work and live in Banff but many do commute from Canmore to Banff - it is just a little more challenging to go for a few drinks or a hike up tunnel after work. I am sure you will find what you are looking for! By the way - you do not need to know many languages to work in Banff. It is a myth that you need to know Japanese and German to work in a shop, etc... It is also a myth that we are the HIV capital of Canada. Check out our hospital - it specializes in sports injuries (expecially knees) I have lived here for 10 years and yet to know anyone in this small town of 8000 people with HIV...
3 :
Banff is an expencive place to live and you need to have a job in the town to live there. A lot of people get summer jobs right out of high school. If they don't get employee housing they ussually have to share a house with a bunch of friends. But if you wanted to live there permenently you would either need an education so you can get a high paying job or start your own business. I have met people from the UK and Australia who got working holiday visas. You should probably contact the Canadian consulate for more info about that. I highly doubt you will have enough points to immigrate permenently coming straight out of high school.
4 :
If you want to work retail, you need to speak Japanese, or German. You can work in hotels. You must get a job first to obtain housing in Banff. Unless you own a business, or work for parks, or have a highly educated job, you will need to stay in staff housing. There are some spots for rent, but you will not be able to afford it unless mom, and dad can help. Also, Banff is the HIV capital of Canada. Sweet place to visit.
5 :
You are going to find it difficult to get a visa for Canada. If you would like to stay in Canada for a number of years, you would have to immigrate. Canadian Immigration only accepts people with documented skills or trades, and work experience who stand a good chance of getting a job. There is probably at least a two year wait for that visa. As you are just finishing school you would not qualify for a full visa. There is a working holiday temporary visa, that you might be eligible for. You have left it a little late for this winter. If you went the holiday visa route, you will find it very expensive to live around the ski areas and difficult to find a job or accomodation. New people usually work for minimum wage and a ski pass, and share rooms. Hope you find something.
6 :
Banff is a beautiful town but also a very expensive place to live, especially during the tourist season in the summer. Most of the employment is in the tourism sector so being able to cook would be an asset. Ski instructor at Lake Louise in the winter, 1st aid attendant, working in a hotel in the maintenance department, check in clerk, chamber maid, housekeeping, transit driver. Clerking in the various stores and shops. These are all options but it could be difficult getting yourself established. You might find Banff quite boring in the winter due to the cold winters and heavy snow. If you enjoying skiing then welcome to paradise.
Read more discussion :