Friday, October 16, 2009

Making friends in High School


Making friends in High School?
I'm 13 and starting High School tomorrow. (I had a late Enrollment. I'm going to Brisbane State High School) I'm afraid I won't make any friends. First of all, I'm a different race from them, I'm a Chinese, and they are Aussie people. I'm sure they're pretty nice, but they are really outgoing, and I'm really shy. I'm also really short for my age, I'm turning 13 soon and I'm only around 138 cm. And also, my parents won't even accompany me to my first day of High School, coz my mum will be at work and my dad will be fetching my lil sis to school. So, my mum is asking her friend to take a bus with me to school. I just moved to Australia so it's gonna be my first day of school in Australia so I really want my parents to be there... :(
Primary & Secondary Education - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Australian kids like to joke and sometimes can be mean if they give you a hard time smile at them and say something cheeky back like its not what your mama said to me last night.... enjoy school theres alot of nice kids tooo you will meet friends dont worry just remember smile!
2 :
Awh, don't worry about it - especially the race issue! My best friend is Asian, and the other one is Greek! Most Aussie kids are very accepting of other races. But yes, we do like to joke, and play around. Try not to take some of the things people say too seriously, and maybe sit with someone in class, and just try to make friends. Trust me, it's normal to be nervous on the first day of highschool, but it all gets better <3
3 :
lol I can kind of understand how u feel, new people new country! Well just be ur self they will probably be interested in u because ur new, and they will want to get t know u more. Dont worry, u'll be fine ^^
4 :
hey! i live in Australia, dont worry! the kids here can be a bit mean, but since your new you will make heaps of friends! Im in my second year in HS and im nervous about going back since i dont have any friends. Just be confident and focus of your work, go up to a girl who is in your class, that seems nice and introduce yourself! Iv always been the short girl, once i got to high school i wasnt the shortest one there, and people used to like me being short! lol Good luck!
5 :
Don't worry too much about it. in 2004 i moved to Australia from Israel and i could hardly speak english!!!! but everything when alright, everyone was really nice. so just go there and make the best you can of it!! hope you have a wonderful first day and good luck!! hope this made you fell just that bit better :]
6 :
You're the new kid! You'll definitely get at least one person who will want to know about where you came from and what you think of Australia so far. If you're still unsure, though, join a club or activity, like sports or drama. You'll make tons of friends in your activities if not in your classrooms :) Good luck!
7 :
Just hang in there.you'll be fine.
8 :
Don't worry too much. My best friend is Asian and another friend in Aboriginal. Just be yourself. Trust me, in a school in Brissie, I'm sure you'll make heaps of friends. Just be cool and natural, and have fun!!
Read more discussion :