Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I am a college student and want to move to Australia, but will the colleges accept my completed units


I am a college student and want to move to Australia, but will the colleges accept my completed units?
I am an australian citizen, I was born there, but when I was 4 my mom married an american and we all moved to the states. now im 19 and I desperately miss family back home(not to mention america looks like crap after my visit to Australia, and there are tons of jobs in Australia, the lifestyle is more laid back and the men are way hotter, i live near LA and hangout in hollywood so I know hott guys when I see them. besides that the economy here is no good.) and want to continue my education in Australia. however I am worried that the university there wont accept my completed classes (theyre all general education requirements and were completed at a community college) and I'll have to start from scratch. Does anyone know what the policy on this is? and I"ve already looked at all of the university websites and it didnt make sense to me. Also I'm pre dental and want to attend dental school in Australia, does anyone know the requirements for dental school over there and how many years of undergrad courses are required and how many years of actual dental school before I can begin working? thanx you guys. also by the time i move ill have my A.A. degree so i was hoping that would better my chances of getting into dental school, having a completed degree. also there a test for admittance into dental school, like the DAT in the states?
Perth - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Australian universities have different requirements to US ones. The subjects you have done will not be counted towards an Australian degree. Difference #1 - Aus degrees are 3 year, US are 4 years. Aus degree major from step one. US degree major in year 2/3. The first year of a US degree is general subjects. Australia does not have that - you want to do a science degree? you do ALL science subjects. You want to do an Economics degree? you do ALL economics subjects. The only students in ANY of your classes will be the ones doing a major in that general area. Difference #2 - Dentistry is an undergraduate degree - no need to do a degree first.
2 :
A Bachelor of Dental Science (BDSc) degree is usually a 5 year undergraduate degree and that leads directly to being able to register and practise as a dentist in Australia. Some universities e.g. USyd are now offering only graduate entry 4 year degrees. I doubt if your community college units will be acceptable, but you should check with your preferred uni to confirm that.
Read more discussion :