Saturday, May 8, 2010

Australian High School Graduate Wanting To Go To an American University


Australian High School Graduate Wanting To Go To an American University?
I'm 18 and have just finished High School in Australia. Next year I'd love to study a B.A. Spanish Education/Teaching (or similar) in the USA. While Spanish isn't my native language, I've learnt it in school for 5 years, and am really interested in pursuing a career in Spanish Education, however there is no such existing course in any Australian university, and even if there were, I'd still rather go to an American university for the cultural and employability benefits. Anyway, my problem is that I have neither friends nor family living in the US, and hence have NO IDEA where I should apply for university. I'm definitely in need of a scholarship to support myself (and would do au-pair work if possible), but other than that, the options for getting this degree are so broad that I'm really just clueless as to where I should go. Any help or ideas? Any universities you know of that could be recommended for my particular field of study? P.S. I'm currently studying for the SATs, and English is my native language (so I wouldn't need to take a TOEFL test). My high school grades weren't fabulous, but were above average nonetheless, so the university would have to be one that isn't expecting an extremely intelligent person. WIth that said, I'm very hard working, and came first in my Spanish class with high grades at the end of school exam we have here (if that's of any importance).
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
well, the problem for you is getting you to a college to visit. trust me, a lot of colleges look like it will fit you on paper, but its weird because its like you automatically know if you like it or not when you step on the campus. thats the most important part. i wouldnt worry so much about your major. no offense, but unless you really know what you want to do, 75% of the time, people change their intended major anyways. if i were you, i would be concerned about the cost of the college, but not too too concerned. almost everyone files for financial aid for almost every college so its not like they collect your money right now and if you cant pay, youre out. but in terms of location, im thinking texas, so cal, arizona and new mexico which are the obvious ones. and if i were you, i would probably apply to a state school.there are big ones and small ones. not all are 50000+ students. and once you can scrape up enough to buy an apartment, you could apply instate and the cost to go to the college would drop dramatically.
Read more discussion :